Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Namesake


So I saw it last weekend or so and and still not sure what to make of it. I think I can conclude I thought it was an extremely well directed but not well scripted movie.

It was a very conflicted movie about conflicted people. The basic premise follows Jhumpa Lahiris book about an immigrant bengali family who make the move in the 50's from Kolkatta to New York. They give birth to two children, and Ashoke decides to name his first child -his son, Gogol because of an emotional attachment to the name and author. Gogol struggles against his own identity for a long time before embarking on a slow journey towards self-discovery, which forms the premise of the film. It isnt so much a movie as a series of episodes cut-and-pasted together like stringing together disconnected memories from a photo album. While this tactic probably works well with people who revere the book, it seems disjointed to those who either havent read the book or like me werent overly attached to the book.
But what bring about those sparks of brilliance are two of India's most amazing and most undervalued actors..Irfan and Tabu. I can safely say I'm a fan of both, but this movie was entirely theirs from start to finish. Their chemistry is amazing, their scenes together are so heartwarming, and Irfan takes you through his entire journey of emotions with such ease that when tragedy strikes we feel the loss as much as his family members. There were moments of sheer brilliance and then moments when you just zone out because whats going on on screen doesnt really excite your attention. All the scenes about Gogol's love life and college life are insipid and completely lacking in depth, In fact a majority of the scenes involving Gogol not involving his family could easily have been in some cheesy tween chick flick, and didnt belong in this sensitive portrayal of the immigrant condition, of families and of dealing with loss. I could see why Mira was showing these scenes, the movie was supposed to be showing us the development and progression of Gogol's character, but it just doesnt work. As far as direction goes, I think this is Mira's finest work (though I would say Monsoon wedding is her finest film). If only she had resisted the commercial urge and gotten rid of the redundant flashbacks. I dont understand why directors feel the need to resort to such gimmicks? I mean surely mira realises her movie catered to a niche audience and not the regular pop corn crowd? sigh, anyways. I really loved the way she interplayed scenes of Boston, New York and Kolkatta and used the bridges and rivers as conencting elements so they felt like one city. I also loved the way she showed Ashima (Tabu) on her second trip back home...carefree, natural, playful...like she finally felt at home. Her direction of the India trip made me feel like I was visiting again...the fragrances were real, the people were real, it was just so authentic, it was like visiting India all over again. Oh and did I mention how gorgeous Tabu looked? woah. In those saris and giant red tikas and wavy hair...just beautiful....and Ashoke was such a lovable character....such a sensitive husband...a father trying so hard to connect with his son but not getting through.... Some of my favorite scenes: -Ashima and Ashoke's arranged marraige scenario. -Ashima at the laundromat...the spat and making up that followed. -Gogol avoiding his parents call sad.gif -Asima reacting to news of her father's death, and Ashoke's handling of the situation -Ashima's break down after the phone call sad.gif sad.gif and her speech at the end 001.gif Favorite dialogues: -I dont want to go back...I dont want to meet them in mourning...I dont want to raise my son in this lonely country. -Our whole family was born out of Gogols overcoat...some day you will understand. So yea, I'm not sure how I'd rate it as a film just yet. But one thing is for sure, it had a pretty big impact on me, and made me appreciate my mom and dad and everything they've been through...and clearly I wasnt the only one because every single one of the group I went with came out of the theatre and called their parents tongue.gif

No comments: